Frequently Asked Questions
1) What are Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® and how does it work?
Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® is a non-invasive, external massage technique, which guides displaced abdominal organs back into their proper position for optimum health and well being. Much of the work focuses on the uterus and surrounding area, although the techniques also benefit women who have had a hysterectomy (see question 8).
A woman's uterus is held in position by over 10 ligaments. Ligaments, when stressed or strained cause the uterus to become mal-positioned. If the uterus is mal-positioned, women experience a multitude of symptoms. Using Arvigo Techniques™, the uterus is gently guided by external massage into its optimal position in the lower pelvis.
Maya Abdominal Therapy relieves congestion and blockages to improve the flow of chi and fluids of the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems to prevent the progression of chronic disease symptomology.
2) What could cause a displaced uterus?
- Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, car accidents, etc.
- Pelvic ligaments that have weakened due to overstretching during pregnancy and birth
- High Impact exercise, running on cement surfaces, high impact aerobics, etc.
- Lifting & carrying heavy objects before or during menstruation and too soon after childbirth
- Time and gravity
- Past surgeries
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
- Emotional armoring from abuse at anytime in life
3) What are the symptoms of a displaced uterus?
- Painful or irregular periods; painful or irregular ovulation
- Dark or brown blood at the onset and at the end of menstruation
- Headache or migraine with period
- Varicose veins of the legs and/or tired, weak or numb legs
- Low backache; back pain with period
- More serious imbalances including: Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids and Uterine Polyps
- PMS/ depression
- Frequent urination; bladder infections, incontinence
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Chronic miscarriages
- Difficulty getting pregnant/Infertility
- Painful intercourse
- Chronic constipation
- Difficult menopause
4) How quickly should I expect a change?
Often there is a dramatic improvement after just one session when combined with proper diet and self-care. Depending on the severity of the problem, it may take as little as one session and as long as many months for the uterine position to be corrected and for the ligaments to gain enough strength and elasticity for it to stay in place. 3 sessions are usually the minimum. Women often report a rapid improvement in symptoms and sense of well being when self-care is performed regularly. Self-care is taught during the first session and can be done in just a couple of minutes daily.
5) How does Maya Abdominal Therapy support fertility?
It has been estimated that approx 30% of woman who have been unsuccessful in conceiving eventually conceive after a succession of Maya Abdominal Therapy treatments. Treatments generally consist of massage, diet and lifestyle modifications, herbal therapies to enhance fertility. Once the uterus is in its optimal position, there is improved hemodynamics (blood flow) and homeostasis (the body's ability to self-regulate) to support and enhance fertility.
6) Why do I need to complete an intake form?
With certain medical conditions some techniques may not be advisable, or should to be adapted to your individual needs. The intake form provides the practitioner with a sense of your personal history, and is kept completely confidential. Download and print the intake form if you would like to complete it in advance of your first visit. [Female Intake Form PDF, Male Intake Form PDF]
7) I am concerned about my privacy. What happens to the information I give?
The information you give will be kept completely private at all times. It will only be used for your personal evaluation and kept in a locked file.
8) I've had a Hysterectomy. How would Maya Abdominal Therapy help me?
Women who have had hysterectomies benefit greatly from Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®. The technique improves circulation in and around the area of the scar and allows for proper flow of the lymph, which often becomes blocked after surgery, resulting in swelling, burning and deep aching pains in the pelvis. By using Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® on a regular basis, scar tissue will be prevented from forming in the pelvis after surgery. Ligaments and other remaining organs are benefited from improving circulatory flow to the pelvis.
9) How does Maya Abdominal Therapy help with digestion?
Many anxieties and emotions through life are stored in our body's tissues and organs. A very common place is in the organs of the digestive system. Those so called "butterflies in your stomach" can lead to constipation, indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, and eventually to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Crohn's and more. Stresses and emotions cause the small intestine and colon to be "twisted or kinked" leading the blockages in the flow of peristalsis. Surrounding fascia creates adhesions that mal-position organs and impede proper blood flow and enzyme secretions. Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® helps to break down facial adhesions, scar tissue and removes any "kinks" in the digestive tract. Often there is a dramatic improvement after just one session when combined with proper diet and self-care.
10) Can Maya Abdominal Therapy help with digestion problems following abdominal surgery?
Scar tissue and facial adhesions can often cause problems with digestion after abdominal surgery. Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® helps to break down the scar tissue and adhesion from past or present surgeries. A few sessions combined with castor oil packs, diet and self care are often used depending on the restriction for optimal success. Maya Abdominal Therapy is contraindicated immediately following abdominal surgery, allow 4-6 weeks or after your doctor's consent.